Thursday, May 8, 2008

Castro's Dreaded Goodbye...


BOO! Well, Castro was cut. I still feel in my gut, he'll be the biggest selling act from this season. I don't know why, but if he goes a Rob Thomas/John Mayer route and NOT a Jack Johnson/Dave Matthews route, he'll be the biggest loser - like Daughtry! Now, let me explain my statements of Seyesha not being a superstar. It's just that she, along with Carly, were just missing an IT Factor, a lil' sparkle. I knew the first time I saw Daughtry on Idol he was a Star - a Rock Star who would not win Idol, but if given the chance can be HUGE. I feel that in Brooke and Castro this season. There's just something there - there seems to be artistry there. I think Cook is good - damn good. But he's so much like Daughtry, it'll be really dicey to deliver a better CD. And you know I love Baby D, but it's gonna be tough to mass-market him and NOT make him Josh Groban (whom I also love). But Groban's fans are not the 12-18 year old girls dialing for Archuletta. So it's quite a quandary for a label to decide what type of record he should make. If the pop Backstreet Boys sound were still around, it'd be simple. But young male artists now (like Chris Brown) are in R&B where singing sophisticated lyrics are acceptable, I don't know if hearing Baby D, 17, singing adult-leaning lyrics will fly. It'll be very interesting.

Another note: Miss Alicia Keys did indeed wear braids all throughout her first album, up to the Grammy's even. But it was with her second and third albums that she broke EVEN bigger, crossing over more, selling more and booking larger venues... when she debuted her straightened hair (pic). Either way it works -- her face is gorgeous, voice is 10x better than it was when it started whether she is braided, dred-locked or Farah Fawcett'ed. She is a star - a true talent - an 'artiste' - an IT Factor as SOON as she came on the scene. Seyesha & Carly were not.

All of this IDOL talk of who will win or who is a STAR is almost becoming worthless. I mean, after season 4 has it been anything but an interesting pop-culture variety TV show?

Have you seen the Adam Sandler movie trailer for YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN? It looks pretty stupid, silly hilarious. Much more than the up-coming LOVE GURU with Mike Meyers. Go to adamsandler.com to watch the preview. His character's obsession with Mariah Carey t-shirts is worth it.

Is no one watching SAMANTHA WHO? It's really good. Very funny. Jean Smart needs a nomination as does Christina Applegate. Melissa McCarthy who played the best friend on Gilmore Girls is the best friend again and she is HYSTERICAL. And Barry Watson from 7th Heaven is the super-hot, straight guy you'd want your sister to marry.

The Bacon Club Chalupa Taco commercial for Taco Bell where the girl has one in her purse at a bar to lure men is pretty genius. I think I'll try it. Hell, I'd FALL for it!

No comments: