Wednesday, April 16, 2008

E=MC2 on Idol


And so it was this season's "innovator," the Cook, who took charge of Mariah's "Always Be My Baby," and turned it into a stalker-like darker rocker tune. And it was Brooke Smith who didn't listen to this writers hopefully subliminal message to turn "Baby" into an acoustic lil' ditty. Instead, she once again sat a the piano, solo, singing one of the top 3 Mariah signature songs, "Hero." Yawn. I love her. I'd sign her. But she's this Carole King/Sheryl Crow singer/songwriter - not a pop diva chanteuse. Mariah has had 18 #1's and probably 40 top 10 singles. And so, of course, Syesha picks a little-known album cut from MC's debut called "Vanishing." And therefore, I think she'll will be doing so tonight. Yes, I should fault KL Cook for doing the non-single "Until Forever," but unlike "Vanishing," it is a song that SHOULD have been a single. And just like Mariah thought, it could be a hit today - some ten years later. I'm not a fan of the pageant-like KL Cook, but I thought she was really very good last night. Baby D cannot stay away from a message song or a ballad! I was extremely frustrated nearly by all of their song choices (all ballads), but Baby D doing the cartoon theme, "When You Believe," made me a lil mad. Just a lil cuz he's so damn good and so terribly cute. His vocals were wonderful, but yes, "Make It Happen," would have been a better choice. On that note, "Happen," "Emotions," "Someday," even "Shake it Off," would have been great up-tempo choices. Alas, it was the Cook's "Baby," and Castro's "I Don't Wanna Cry," that I'll be purchasing at iTunes. I still go on record to say that it'll be Baby D, The Cook and Castro in the top 3. I feel Baby D will take it but if he doesn't, he'll be the bigger star. If Cook wins, he'll go the way of Taylor Hicks, because as much as he has consistently delivered great performances, we already have Daughtry (who's hotter and I predict a better song writer than Cook). And if I had the chance, I'd sign Castro, who has the potential to be a Pop/Rock/Grammy-darling a la John Mayer/Rob Thomas. I think he's got the "artiste" in him. I love MC's clips of her coaching btw. So cute and helpful. She's on tonight!

BRANDY has jumped Atlantic Records to sign with Epic. I love Brandy. She has delivered consistent cool and melodic R&B albums. Her "Never Say Never," and "Full Moon," albums are among the best R&B of the last decade. Often underrated she is still always Grammy nominated for each release, including Best R&B Album. Her tragedy of the car accident aside - key word "accident," - I hope she will rise above, that the media will not sensationalize it, and that she's back on top again.

I've happily fallen into "The Comeback" hole recently. I just watch the whole short season on DVD again. It pains me that it only lasted one season -- and kills me more so that Lisa Kudrow (pic) was robbed of an Emmy that year. I have recently said that if I won a crap-load of money in the lottery, I'd pay to produce another season, just for my own enjoyment. Come back to the Five & Dime, Valerie Cherish, Valerie Cherish.

No comments: